Thursday 10 December 2015

Joy Division .......

.... more than once I have been caught out when looking at the TV listings and seeing the Movie Joy Division scheduled .... and each time I have flicked it on ....... to be greeted with the movie about a German boy who ends up working for the Russians and not the music band .... I knew there was a movie about the band, but that's what wrong footed me ...... I could never remember what it was called ......

Don't get me wrong the movie Joy Division is a very good movie and well worth the watch .... in my case more than once .... but when you are expecting love to tear you apart.... well ......

So a couple of weeks back, on the plane en-route to Hong Kong and flicking through the movie listings .... [I don't normally watch movies on planes simply because the acoustics are shite] ..... but as I flicked through...... up popped ..... Control ...... of course ........ that's the name of the movie about Joy Division the band and not Joy Division the war movie..... funny that ..... "Control" is about Joy Division and "Joy Division" is about control ........

So shite acoustics or not, I decided to watch the film ..... well if you have ever seen real footage of Ian Curtis, then Sam Riley could be his doppelganger ......

The film is based on the book by the wife of Ian Curtis, and their somewhat troubled marriage, but it is never maudlin nor sensational  ..... to me it gave what appears to be a honest account of a young man troubled ..... and if you grew up in the 1970's and locked into the music of the 1980's...... this is a movie you can appreciate ..... It tells a very honest account of the short life of Ian Curtis and the rise of Joy Division.

In light of Ian Curtis untimely death at his own hand, Joy Division were not around very long, but you only have to listen to some of their music to see the wider influences they created.... I am not sure you even have to like all of their songs, but you can see just how one song leads to another ..... and if like me, you hear a song and think .... fook .... or as the Hong Kongers might say .....

Lukfook .....



Then how can you not stop and listen to this song
and think Ian Curtis went too soon
This my SoD .....


I remember first listening to this song when it came out in 1980
and I was 17 years old and thinking ......
wow

there I was on a plane to Hong Kong 35 years later
52.9 years old and thinking ........
wow