Monday 14 July 2014

New Shoes .......

The thing about the internet is it allows us to do things with ease..... ie sitting on your arse..... as opposed to the pre-internet days which required a huge effort to do ...... ie getting off your arse.....

But we still have the opportunity to test one system against the other.....

I never was a huge betting man, but occasionally I have this sense that the odds of winning are so much weighted to the benefit to the punter than the bookie, that well..... there is no choice but to......

So in the world cup at the quarter final stages, there I was, I could see the winners in each game, the winners in the semis, and the final winner...... so armed with this insight I popped into my local bookies...... can I have a tenner for an accumulator bet to predict the winners of each quarter final games, then the semi, then the final ?

No..... came back the emphatic reply..... we can't work out the odds ? ........ err err... I thought you were bookies.....

But on line, they can give you odds of the next player to loose a shin pad outside the area whilst heading the ball...... so that was my answer I would become an on line addict gambler.....

Still it was not easy to get an accumulator bet so the answer was easy, I would put a tenner on the 1st quarter final game and the winnings on the next game, so on and so forth. The odds were not brilliant but a sure fire winner I thought.... And the other wonderful thing about on line betting is they give you free bets....

So with each of the quarter final games, my money accumulated, and at the end of the quarter final stage I was £100 up..... but now I realised why I am not a gambler, I don't like losing..... so for the semi final's I withdraw my cash winnings and used my free bets..... Brazil and Argentina to both win and Brazil to win in the final...... well...... it was a good job Brazil and Germany was a free bet, I..... like Brazil........ got spanked...... as did most of the betters that night.....so I had my 2nd free bet of £75 riding on Argentina..... and thanks to their goalie..... I was 50 quid up.......[on top of my £100 cash winnings].....

Gambling is a mugs game and with Germany-vs-Argentina too close to call,  I cashed in my chips and I was £150 up. Imagine every time you went into Tesco and gave them a £10 note, and in return they gave you £150..... that is the seduction of on line gambling...... it is so easy to loose your shirt.... they make it easy.... they seduce you with free bets..... but the truth is ...... you could be left with nothing......

If you were the Argentine's last night........ that is exactly what they were left with......


But don't be glum boys..... 
look what your victory against the Netherlands got me
the classic icon of training shoes in the 1970's



So armed with my £150 winnings, I was able to go out and remind myself of my youth, and still have cash left over for a crafty pint......

But even the trainers showed the contrast between shop-vs-online shopping........ I found out that seemingly, Sports Direct did the cheapest on line price..... but with the cash in my pocket, not wanting to wait, like the child I am, I rushed out to my local sports direct shop..... only to be greeted with a higher in store price than on line..... £49.99 in store......  But they are cheaper on your website I told the assistant..... well you are in the shop and that is the price.... if you want them cheaper get them on line..... so sure enough, good advice I thought....... and I walked out with my winnings intact and still in my pocket.....

Thanks to the wonderful advice of the Sports Direct assistant, I once again checked on line, and this time saw that I could get them for £28 as opposed to £44 with sports direct on line and £50 in store.....

Another result ! If it wasn't the bookies improving my cash flow, then it was the Sports Direct assistant...

Which all goes to prove to me once again, that if you are prepared not to put the effort in and sit on your arse, with your laptop on your....well laptop.... then there is good reason to believe that you can win against the odds..... and the brill thing was, I ordered my shoes at 8pm and next day I was prancing around in them.....

This calls for a SoD me thinks, 
and tempting though it was to choose 
Paulo Nutini and new shoes, 
I think retro shoes calls for a retro song..... 
aren't these guys just fab....
like my new shoes....