Friday 6 July 2018

Love them or loathe them ....

... but whatever it is ... I must say that Apple do choose some great music for their adverts .....

Recently we had the wonderful Fantastic Man by William Onyeabor.

William left this life 18 months ago, and despite being a revered artist he never played live. But inspite of this, his music is so life affirming ...... and Apple's advert matched the beauty of the song .....

And now .... Apple's latest advert brings the brilliant Daniel Johnston and his story of an artist .... I featured this as my song of the day over 4 years ago .... I remember when I first heard my first Daniel Johnston song [Love will find you in the end] and at first I thought ...... ugh ...... what the fook is this  .... but in a nano second ..... I then suddenly thought wow ....what the fook is this .... this is just genius ....

Now we have Apple bringing Daniel to the masses ...... Daniel Johnston is a troubled soul ... but his music, his lyrics are nothing short of genius ....... the Apple advert only provides a snippet of the song .... when you listen to the whole song it finishes with the lines ......

They sit in front of their TVs
Saying, "Hey! This is fun!"
And they laugh at the artist
Saying, "He doesn't know how to have fun."

The best things in life are truly free
Singing birds and laughing bees
"You've got me wrong", says he
"The sun don't shine in your TV"

Which I think makes it somewhat ironic that Apple are trying to flog you their computers with a Daniel Johnston song pointing out the real beauty of life ...... who knows perhaps Apple know this and are merely being self deprecating .......

There are 3 great versions of the song out there ... so I will offer up all three ....starting with Daniel, then me old mate Glen and finally what I think to be a worthy rendition by Jerry Fish .... I'll let you decide which you prefer ..... I hope you pick Daniel Johnston .... as an aside you will hear Glen Hansard reference Daniel's song ... Some things last a long time .... check it out .... it's another beautiful track ......





The Apple Fantastic Man advert can be seen by .... clicking here ....

I want you to tell me how I look ....
Tell me please how I look ....
Tell me please how I look ....

You look so good ...... Fantastic man ....