Friday 1 August 2014

When skies are blue, and fields are green....... on days like these....

Before I reached the grand old age of 8 years and I was in to Led Zeppelin and Bowie..... it was the music of my parents that I sort of remember.....

I remember the sound rather than particularly the songs or the singers..... some stick in the mind like ....how could you forget...... Lily the Pink..... what a song.....

I remember as a young child we had a radiogram, and I would spin the dial as fast as I could, and it would spin through the various radio stations..... I think I did it because I loved spinning the dial, not because my parents music taste was shite......

I don't recall Elvis being a big favourite in my house, although he did some great tracks... it was more like Tom Jones..... Roy The Big O Orbison.... god he was fantastic and taken too soon..... there was even some Mario Lanza.....and then there was my choice of Today's Friday Desert Island disc.....

Boy could this guy sing.... a voice like velvet... and whilst I have no visual recollection of him, countless times that velvet voice of his resonated from that radiogram....

Today's SoD is  one of my all time favorites of his, and sets the opening scene for one of the most iconic English movies of the 1960's [forget the shite of the 2003 remake, bloody dicks should have left well alone !].......

Francis Ford Coppola achieved the same great type of opening scene in Apocalypse Now ......

But how many times have you I seen that scene in the Italian job....... Lamborghini Miura .......and wanted to be that driver.......ach erm....... but only up to the point before he entered the tunnel......after that there was a digger in there !...and as the saying goes shit happens.... But if ever there was a voice..... a song.... to accompany that drive.... this is it....

don't touch that dial.....
on days like these
I hear sweet music float around my head
I wonder what became of you......