Thursday 7 February 2013

100 and not out.....



...according to my bloggaministrator rights this is showing as my 100th blog entry, and generally speaking 100 is something to celebrate... although in the case of my eldest daughter I should remind her that you celebrate 100 on your 100th birthday and not your 50th. She claimed she sent me a happy 100th birthday card for my 50th in case I wasn't lucky enough to make it to 100.....reading my further comments below she might have a point....

So for my 100th blog I do have something to celebrate.....although I will add the caveat, that I never intended to write a blog about my mundane life, because quite frankly, such becomes a touch too self indulgent and can result in smug self satisfaction....just read any Liz Jones article for that....

But today, for my 100th blog I am going to do just that, indulge in some smug self satisfaction....so if you are reading this.....and why wouldn't you be..... forgive me....

I have written about my two daughters before, but I still think back to last year....there was my wife at the epicentre of her own personal crisis, and when you are stood close to the epicentre inevitably you will feel the force of the emotional tsunami coming your way, well my two daughters felt the full force head on, but I could only lend an encouraging hug and try and say the right thing, and offer my unconditional love, the way a parent does...... but also recognising that the emotional tsunami was a full 360 degree.....

But as I watched on, I saw my two daughters not just cope, but in their own way fight back.....seeing their mum fighting back....gave them the direction to fight their own fight, and despite being engulfed by the tsunami that cancer creates, they fought back and last summer won...and it seems continue to win....so my eldest with a first class honours degree under her belt is pressing ahead with her MA, whilst my youngest is now learning so much about the workings of the human body, she even gave me a lesson in familial hypercholesterolaemia.

Now I should add at this point there was a reason for her sharing this topic with me, in that most people inherit stuff from their parents, when said parent departs.....often it is a gold watch, well in my case it was, it was a beautiful gold watch that my dad was given for 25 years slaver....ach erm....service at his factory. It is a watch that I shall cherish until my last breath, but it seems it was not only was it a gold watch he bequeathed to me.....he also passed on his life time supply of statins, to now treat my recently diagnosed familial hypercholesterolaemia.

My daughter [knowing my longing for pies] was informing me that I am very fortunate to get to the age of 50 sans heart attack, as once you reach the age of 35 year, regardless of fitness/diet/body size you then enter the unlucky zone..... When I was first diagnosed late last year, I didn't really concern my self too much, but when I read this.....


And so to think not long ago I was reading to her, wonderful children's stories and now she is reading to me horror stories like.....Identification and management of familial hypercholesterolaemia (FH) Full guideline August 2008.

But for all the pride I have for her, today's 100th celebration I will hand to my eldest.....

Wind back the clock to around 3 years ago.....

Location: A trendy bar in downtown Singapore

Parents: So how are you enjoying life in Singapore ?

Eldest Daughter: It's fab, I love the university and after my course I have been offered a 3 month internship with Elle Singapore but.....

Parents: Thats wonderful, why the but ?

Eldest Daughter: I applied to Vogue London but they turned me down, they said I need two good interships under my belt and I've not finished my degree yet

Parents: Don't be disappointed, do the Elle internship, get your degree, get more internships and apply again

Eldest Daughter: I know but Vogue is the pinnacle 

Parents: Don't panic, deferred gratification remember

Now wind the clock forwards some 3 years....

Location: Somewhere in a cold miserable wet England, ie not Singapore

brrrng brrrng brrrng.....

Eldest Daughter: [words in head] ...who's that ringing...I don't recognise that number....I know I am not due any whiplash compensation as I have not been in any accidents lately....oh well I'll answer it anyway......

Eldest Daughter: [words from gob] Hello this is Miss Grace

Caller: Ah good morning Miss Grace, I am the Managing Editor of Vogue

Miss Grace: [words from gob] ah good morning...... [words in head] oh my god ! oh my god ! Vogue are ringing me......

Managing Editor of Vogue: We've got your CV and we would like you to come for an interview, when would you be available ?

Miss Grace: [words from gob] Oh thank you, let me just check my diary ......[words in head] oh my god ! oh my god ! Vogue want me to go for an interview....I don't care what day they say I will go...oh my god ! vogue is on the line.....

Miss Grace: [words from gob] I should be available most times, when were you thinking .......[words in head] oh my god ! oh my god ! I don't care if she says come on Thurlagday.....I will go on that day even though that day doesn't exist...

Managing Editor of Vogue: Ok, could you come on 6th February at our London offices

Miss Grace: [words from gob] that would be no problem, I look forward to seeing you then, bye till then.........[words in head] oh my god ! oh my god ! Vogue have asked me to go to an interview at their London offices...... I am soooooooo excited ! yahaaaaaay

Now wind the clock forwards to 6th February......

Location: The London Offices of Vogue in cold miserable wet England, ie not Singapore

Managing Editor of Vogue: Ah good morning Miss Grace, nice to meet you

Miss Grace: [words from gob] Ah good morning, a pleasure to meet you too .......[words in head] oh my god ! oh my god ! oh my god ! I am in the inner sanctum of the London Offices of Vogue...can this really be happening.....

Managing Editor of Vogue: ....blah blah blah blah......

Miss Grace: [words from gob] .....blah blah blah blah..... [words in head] oh my god ! oh my god ! oh my god ! I am in the inner sanctum of the London Offices of Vogue...can this really be happening.....

Managing Editor of Vogue: Well Miss Grace we are pleased to offer you an internship with Vogue Magazine, welcome to Vogue

Miss Grace: [words from gob] Thank you very much, I know I shall enjoy it here......[words in head] oh my god ! oh my god ! oh my god ! I can feel my heart pounding...I think I am going to cry/faint/jump up and down stupidly {delete as appropriate}....noooo Miss Grace .... keep your cool......

Now wind the clock forwards a nano second later......

Location: Outside of the London Offices of Vogue in cold miserable wet England, ie not Singapore

brrrng brrrng brrrng.....


Parents: Hi Miss Grace, how did you get on ?.....

Eldest Daughter: [words from gob] burble, shriek, blah blah, burble, shriek garble..... [words in head] burble, shriek, blah blah, burble, shriek garble.....

Parents: slooooow down.....now did you get it ?

Eldest Daughter:   [words from gob] burble, shriek, blah blah, burble, shriek garble..... YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS ..........[words in head] {A pure vacuum} 

Parents: That's fantastic news Miss Grace.....but are you jumping up and down stupidly, shrieking loudly in the street and are people staring at you ?

Eldest Daughter:   [words from gob] burble, shriek, blah blah, burble, shriek garble..... YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS ..........[words in head] {A pure vacuum} 

Parents: oh....best you come home for your own safety and the safety of the general public....

Eldest Daughter:   [words from gob] burble, shriek, blah blah, burble, shriek garble..... YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS OK see you soooooooon..........[words in head] {A pure vacuum} 

And so it is, I think back to almost 1 year ago, watching Miss Grace standing next to a hospital bed, trying her damnedest to hold back the tears, and there she was in a London street on 6th February 2013 with tears of joy in her eyes........

So in my world, today is officially Miss Grace day and there can only be one SoD....in fact there can be 2 SoD's and this calls for a double celebration.....

SoD 1......



and of course with 
satin and perfume and lace.... 
the minute I saw your face 
I knew that I loved you...