Friday 28 September 2018

Sugarman Postscript ....

For all my exuberance at finding Sugarman .... there is a slight sadness postscript ......

To all intents and purpose the film .... Searching For Sugarman ...... was made by Malik Bendjelloul, a Swedish film maker ...... of course he didn't 'make' every bit of the film but he was the alto ego of the movie making process ......

Yesterday was a beautiful sunny day, so I took the day off work and rode the Ducati into central London ... after a great lunch with clients, I rode the bike out to the Royal Albert Hall and parked close by [all free of charge] ... and no sooner had I stepped off the bike and I was then in my seat waiting for Sixto Rodriguez to appear.

Had Malik Bendjelloul not been seduced by the story of Sugarman and then made his film, then chances are I would probably never have heard of Sixto Rodriguez, thus not being enthralled with his music, then not seen him live at the Albert Hall, and in turn not had a great day off work yesterday .... a day to remember well .....

In 2012 the movie won critical acclaim and Malik Bendjelloul was on the cusp of wider acknowledgement of his talent too ....... but one day in May 2014 he jumped in front of a train ......

In my adult life, I have known 4 people close to me who have suffered the loss of a loved one close to them, through suicide ....... it's a subject there are few words for and perhaps best described by a feeling ...... a feeling of utter sadness .........

Last night as I sat clapping, and whoop whooping at the wonder of Sixto Rodriguez, I was reminded of Malik Bendjelloul without whom, I would not have been entertained so well last night .....

In the words of Mitch Albom ........ There are no random acts.... you can no more separate one life from another, than you can separate the breeze from the wind.....

I'll let Sugarman sing out the month