Thursday 16 January 2014

When in Bruges don't do as the.....

... Irish do......don't throw yourself from a bell tower.... though a magnificent bell tower it is indeed.....


Worse still, if you did throw your self from a the bell tower, you run the risk of missing out on these wonderous specimens...




Although to be be honest, why in gawd's name would you want chocolate titties, beats me.....  people who go to a dinner party most likely take a box of fine chocolates..... imagine the look on your hosts face when you offer up these chocolates......... but that's Belgium for you.....

can you name a famous Belgium person ? and no not Poirot, he was not a real person...... 5 points to the person who said Eddie Merckx.... and 10 points to the person who said Bradley Wiggins.....

Bruges is a wonderful place and I learnt during my visit, that one of the first ever modern versions of a stock market appeared here... it was called the bourse.... which can also translates as ....... purse....

Trouble is, every time I think the word... Bruges ... in my head all I hear is.... it's like a fucking fairy tale, it's a fucking fairy tale town....... I spoke before about the significance of a sound track moment and looking at the bell tower, you cannot but appreciate the power of that scene.

If you have not seen the movie In Bruges, then for between £3-£5 you can pick up a copy at any suitable DvD outlet and despite the language, despite the violence, it is a movie of great [black] comedy, and redemption.....and at times it's like a fucking fairy tale.... a wonderful place to have a gay beer.....

And so whilst it does a great injustice to take the bell tower scene, and to see it in isolation, it is still worthy of a SoD

The problem with seeing the scene in isolation is that it takes out of context the significance of the imagery but...... in and amongst the act[s] of violence of the scene, there is also his consideration of the dropping of the coins and then his ultimate sacrifice with the final act of redemption...when you see the film for the first time and you see this scene, it takes your breath away so powerful is the message... I've seen the movie more times than I care to remember and more times than I care to remember my breath has been taken away......

On Raglan Road on an autumn day
I saw her first and knew
That her dark hair would weave a snare
That I might one day rue
I saw the danger and I passed
Along the enchanted way
And I said: 'Let grief, be a fallen leaf
At the dawning of the day



and the great thing is, I can't spoil the movie for you as there is no embedded code for the bell tower scene..... so trust me, spend not more than a fiver, buy the movie... and if after watching it, you think what a load of shite.....my breath was not taken away by the bell tower scene,
then write to me and I will email you a fiver back....