Monday 31 March 2014

Some people never go crazy .......

... what truly horrible lives they must lead - Charles Bukowski

Fed up with reading the same old crap in our daily news I again found myself internet clicking....... 

I tripped clicked up over some music last week, and is often the way I find new music to like, even if the music is not new, just new to me...... but also to find music that takes you slightly out of your comfort zone, but not so far as to say...... nah can't be arsed.... but enough to know it is different but great different.

Essentially a lot of great songs are merely great poetry and some artists have a way of conveying feelings through words/song in a way that most of us can't..... the sort of sensation is when you read/hear written words and you go.... yes that's what I feel but I didn't have the way to express it...

There is a great line in the movie The History Boys..... delivered by the character Hector, played by the late but wonderful actor, Richard Griffiths....

The best moments in reading are when you come across something - 
a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things - 
which you had thought special and particular to you. 
And now here it is, set down, by someone else, 
a person you have never met, someone who is even long dead. 
And it is as if a hand has come out, and taken yours .....

Music does that to me, Mitch Alboms writings do it too [albeit he is not dead], as does George Orwell...... George Orwell coming up for air, it is as if he wrote the book for me and me alone....... and yet it would be at least at least 24 years from the publication date until I was born... even then I was born 13 years after Orwell died.... how could he have possibly written that book for me  ? ..... but he did......

So there I was last week, and I tripped up over this 'new' music, and yet the artist concerned has been around for years...but bit of a troubled soul...and yet such an honest soul..... he doesn't sing with panache [or maybe he does].......

If he went on any of the X Factvoicenotalent shows, I doubt he would make it past the audition stage ..... and yet like, Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan, Janis Joplin, even though he may not sound the best, his music is sensational. It is amazing how many cover versions there are of his songs.... like Cohen and Dylan, many times the cover versions are way better than the original..... Jeff is proof positive of that....

But that does not stop the originals being brilliant in their own right..... the more I explored this guys music the more I then found one of his biggest fans is non other than my spokesman Mr Glen Hansard, who features heavily on this blog..... so I think it is no co-incidence that I find myself becoming a fan of my latest musical find..... to be fair some of his songs are tough to listen, but then again it is very rare to say that every single song of one particular artist is great, with a few exceptions of course.... Glen Hansard, Paul Buchanan, and a few more .... but even Bowie turned out some crap..... In any event whatever you might think about how he sings..... there are innumerable artists influenced by his talent that it is hard to ignore....

So this week is DJ week, with the original because it is great and a cover version because they too are great....

So I start the week 

of Daniel Johnston 

SoD's thus


There were numerous cover versions of this song but in the end I plumped for this one by Beck