Friday 14 March 2014

Walking through the door with Mr Benn....

..... for me, the politics of the 1970's seemed the most destructive.....  whether it was because they were my formative years I don't know, but what I do know, is no matter how destructive they may have seemed then, they had the most powerful of characters in politics....

I don't give a rats arse about whether the politics were right or wrong, what mattered is whether they believed in their words for the good of their ideals and not the good of their personality......

Will we remember with due respect the passing of Milliband, or Cameron or Blair...... ? I doubt it.

There is no doubt that the passing today of one of the most formidable political minds should be considered with due respect, no matter whether you agreed with his politics or not..... I never was a labour man myself

But I like this quote the best.... lifted from the BBC website....

In a recent interview for Radio 4's Today programme, presenter James Naughtie asked Mr Benn to summarise where he had been "most right" and "most wrong" in his career.

"I made every mistake in the book," Mr Benn replied. "But making mistakes is how you learn.

"I would be ashamed if I ever said anything I didn't believe in, to get on personally.

"You look back and, when you're in a critical mood, you see you made errors of judgement. But as long as you say what you believe and believe what you say - that's the test of authenticity."


Tony Benn - 1925-2014

(c) Guardian