Sunday 30 December 2012

Thunderbirds are gone !

.....we've got our iPads, iPhones, Macbook Air, xBox 360, Sky TV, endless runs of QI on Dave, and of course not forgetting the brilliant Myth Busters.......but back in the 60's, non of this existed, and then one day we were introduced to the world of supermarionation..... just the word ...[a made up world no less....albeit that all words are "made up" by someone] and then it was Thunderbirds are go, and standby for action, anything can happen in the next 30 minutes....and of course the beautiful Lady Penelope......

Lady Penelope: Parker...

Parker:  Yes mi lady..... [pull ya chin in when you read the parker bits]


Lady Penelope:..... Parker take off my dress....

Parker:  bu...bu...but mi lady


Lady Penelope: PARKER ! do as I say Parker.....

Parker:  ....yeees mi lady


Lady Penelope: now take off my bra and panties.....

Parker:  bu...bu...but mi lady

Lady Penelope: PARKER ! do as I say Parker........

Parker:  ....yeees mi lady


Lady Penelope: Now don't let me catch you wearing them again !

Parker:  ....yeees mi lady

.....and so it is, the great man who imbued such great adventures in the mind of a child [this child, me] is now heading off on his last journey to........


Now I respect it was not exclusively Gerry Anderson, who did it all by himself, but it still needed the guiding mind. It was that mind that understood what the mind of kids wanted.....we wanted to be on the side of good against evil, with Captain Scarlet and Captain Blue, fighting the evil
Captain Black and the Mysterons, with the help of the divine Angels, Destiny~Symphony~Rhapsody~Harmony~Melody.....yeah yeah I know they were only puppets, but that was the joy Gerry Anderson brought to our screens....we could believe in them.

And what about Joe 90 ?!?  what kid didn't want to be Joe 90 ?......Joe made us believe we could truely achieve something great....if only we had our very own BIG RAT [Brain Impulse Galvanoscope Record And Transfer] machine. Alas my dad worked in a factory, he didn't know about computers and Galvanscopes, but it didn't stop me from dreaming.

So if you up there Gerry, thanks fella..... for fueling my furtive mind, and we all know it pays to be a furt...... so for Gerry this is my SoD