Thursday 28 November 2013

why why why........

....so this brings me to my penultimate lexicon of SoD's to complete the full set.....

Why why why indeed.... I am often left wondering why ?

But the only why I need concern myself with is which Y to take as my SoD. Looking at my iPod~cum~iPhone my Y artists are somewhat bereft.....

I did think of going for the Yardbirds for 2 reasons, 1 because Jimmy Page was in their lineup once, and Jimmy Page was in Led Zepplin. One of my older brothers is 8 years older than me, so when he was 16 and into music, I as an 8 year, found myself immersed with Ziggy and the Spiders from Mars, stuck on a Heap with Uriah and then getting a whole lotta love from Jimmy and the Zeps..... the 2nd  reason for the Yardbirds........ because from the same formative years...... and again thanks to my older brother there was David Bowies album of cover songs..... Pin Ups...of which one track was Shapes of things to come, originally by non other than the ....... Yardbirds....

But for today I have not chosen the Yardbirds..... I prefer the Bowie version...instead I have gone for the Yeah Yeah Yeahs..... a more upto date track. It sort of reminds me of Camera Obscura in a way...and oh my word the lead singer Karen Lee Orzolek..... she is just so divine and bed bouncy the way she dances around the top of the Empire state building at the end of the song....

Going back to my formative years, the younger brother of a 16 year, to me the Empire State Building was just a dream like place.....something unobtainable only to be seen in American Movies. Given my background on a council estate to go to the Empire State Building was just a pipe dream.....

Roll forward the years...and we had escaped the clutches of Kyle Land and now I was traveling the world. A life on the ocean waves had been my gateway...and now firmly employed in the shipping world but land based, there I was standing on Broadway and only a stones throw away from the Empire State Building. I went to Times Square at midnight, and couldn't believe just how busy and active it was....... I didn't visit the Empire State Building..... I regret that.... I wish I had....

But for now 
I will let Karen O
transport me there