Wednesday 2 March 2016

Plat du Jour .......

.... as I was driving along aimlessly the other day, a fantastic track by Interpol* came on my iPod. Rather than head phones, but instead the confines of the car, music takes on a whole different perspective..... your own personal sound booth ......

Then it got me thinking ..... quite often, it's not always just the song, but where you are listening that adds to the wow factor ...... I mean quite often, music played in lifts and supermarkets, and you don't even give it a second listen ..... what a waste of all that effort to make the music, to waste it in the ether ......

Then it got me thinking some more...... about parallels with food ..... In simple terms we need food, we'd probably die if we didn't eat food .... it really is a means to an end ..... but it is amazing when you see folks on the TV, damn near orgasmic over food ..... foodie's I think they are often referred as.

I like food, as I say without it I would probably die, so most meals for me are merely the antidote for death, medicine for life you might say ..... but if I stopped listening to music would I die  ? probably not .... but when I listen to a song in the right place at the right time, I know I am alive...... damn near orgasmic

What I can't define.....  is why I like a particular song ...... I was chatting to a complete stranger last Saturday night, and in order to find a theme for common topic of discussion I asked him who his favourite band/singer was .... he looked at me blankly .... and then without an hint of self awareness said I don't have one ...... The conversation didn't really last much longer .....

If some one asked me what my favourite food/meal was, then in a heart beat ...... pies ..... I love pies ! .... but the thing is pies stop me from dying..... and they do taste nice ........ they taste loverly ...

In truth one of the best meals I have ever had in the whole wide world was not a pie but came by through an act of happenstance ...... and maybe that's the same thing with music.... if you deliberately try to seek out a brilliant song, you will never find it .... the mood has to be right, the place has to be right, the ambiance has to be right ..... you can't make that happen .... it happens by chance .....

Me and my best mate were on our way back from Monza Italy on the road trip of a life time. We had driven to Italy through France, and Switzerland in the first Ferrari I owned, and then we had 3 fantastic days at the Grand Prix .... life surely couldn't get much better .... or could it ?

Driving back home, through France we were feeling peckish .... so in the classic point the finger at the map and where ever it points is where we stop for some lunch moment..... sure enough the finger pointed at Bar Le Duc ....... quite frankly not much more than a small market town in the heart of France.

We pulled into town, and seeing a number of Pizza places, decided we had had our fill of wonderful Italian food, and so we found what a appeared to be a bijou restaurant. As we entered, inbetween us both and our broken French we asked for .... Vous Havie une menu sivo plat ..... The owner pointed to the board outside ..... There was only one item on the menu .... Plat Du Jour .....

So we paid our €uro 10 each and sat at our allotted table ...... mein gott ..... or should that be sacre bleu ..... We were served a plate of local vegetables and what appeared as peasant stew .... but in my life I have never tasted anything so wonderful before or since... not even in the pie category ....

All washed down by a glass of local wine. Then for afters, yes we got pudding too, was a platter of the most delicious looking French ..... [I so want to say tarts, without giving the wrong impression .... this was a family restaurant] ..... anyway French tarts ......

If you asked me the name of the meal, I would have no idea, it was merely Plat Du Jour ..... but despite it being some 8 or so years ago, I can still visualise the table we sat at, the chalkboard out the front of the building, the tarts staring back at us, and for sure that was the most wonderful meal I have ever eaten in my life ...... who knows had it been served at my local Tesco in store Cafe perhaps I would not be writing this .... but then again would a song played in my local Tesco ever be one of my songs of the day ? probably not ......

So as an experiment I want to recreate that Plat Du Jour to the style of music ..... 
[just don't be in Tesco if you are reading this]

For the main course we have ......



You'll need some wine to wash it down ....
I have never tried Lilac wine .... but this ....
this is nectar ..



and finally for dessert a fine complement to the main course .....



Bon appetite .....


{* Interpol Postscript - The track was Leif Erikson}