Thursday 11 April 2013

I give my heart unto thee.........

.... listen to the radio this morning, during the daily funk for work ritual, I heard the headlines about organ donation.

It seems that organ donation is up by 50% in the last 5 years, although somewhat surprisingly only 1200 donated their bits and bobs last year, naturally offering them up post death that is......

But whilst this is very encouraging the elephant in the room is still the issue of consent....


My consent has been given, by my choice to register on the organ donor register....... although why anyone would think my bits and bobs are worth having gawd knows...but if they can make better use of them than I have then good luck to them. But I made my choice for my reasons and my reasons alone. I certainly do not have to justify the reasons to anyone.

But.... and this is the big but, for those who choose not to offer their consent, they should not have to justify their reasons either. So when I hear the expressions of so called think tanks [and the like] that consent should be default for everyone and you have to opt out......I do begin to think ouch..... The state does not have a very good track record in making the best choices for people. 

Of course offering up your bits and bobs post mortem I think is the ultimate sacrifice and should always be left first and foremost to GIVE consent, rather than OPT OUT OF consent. This should be a life style [or is that death style choice] and not a political one. 

So to all the politicians out there if you are reading this [and I know you do...so don't deny it] keep your motions and votes off me bits and bobs and bugger off..... I'll choose what I do and don't give if you don't mind.....

However Tom says you can help yourself to his bits....