Friday 26 April 2013

The gullible and the greedy......

.... I can't work out who is more dim witted.... The seller or the buyer ??

If you saw this in a comedy movie you would laugh and see the funny side...but when you see this in real life..... you just have to shake your head.... it's the fact they are still in use I find quite bizarre...as if the whole story was not bizarre enough....


I did wonder....at what point did any of the buyers not think to get some real explosives and actually test the unit in a 'live' situation.....shouldn't have thought it was too difficult to find some explosives in Iraq is it ?

But when it comes out in court that it is a JOKE golf ball finder.....yes that's right it's a joke novelty golf ball finder with absolutely no electronic wizardry or otherwise......part of me says.... well if you are dumb enough to be that taken in....you shouldn't be the one checking for explosives anyway !

But it seems life is full of jokers and chancers .... although some will be taken in.... millionaire businessman, James McCormick, 56, of Langport, Somerset, said to have made £50m....is proof positive of that !

Funny enough on the same day of reading that story the email below appeared in my inbox..... this is the not the first time and I am sure any one can recount similar emails .....I believe they are referred to as 419 scams..... but reading the email you do have to wonder..... is the sender another James McCormick character ?

It was the line ..........
  • I successfully over invoiced a contract few years back which is not known by anybody and, I need your full cooperation and partnership to re-profile this contract funds amounting to US$2.5M to your name as the contractor that executed this contract in Asia few years.
So, he did this secret and illegal act, was clever enough to get away with it, and now he writes to a complete stranger [ie Me] and offers that stranger [ie Me] 40% of US$2.5M....wow this guy is trusting.......

How does he know I don't work for  
A) Inland Revenue [I don't but he doesn't know that]
or
B) The Police [I don't but he doesn't know that]
or  
C) Exxon Mobil [I don't but I did once work for BP Oil Company but he doesn't know that],
and to cap it all he provides his full working title but does say not to contact him at work.......der ! of course I would need to contact him at work, to make sure he is not scamming me or owt......

Now of course this is fake.... it's obviously a fake..... but it seems the human nature can easily be taken in.......

Although thinking about it...... I can buy a bloody lot of pies for 40% of US$2.5M......
Peter !...... Peter !..... Pete.....over here mate.......

And so we reach the end of another working week....and talking of emails, this morning one of my colleagues was following up with me, on an email I had sent a client on 8th April 2013.....that is only 18 days ago..... I looked at it...and have no recollection of writing it only two weeks ago..... 2 weeks !....... it seems like a life time ago when I wrote that email....how could it seem so long ago ?

And so here is my SoD to end the working week....it has nothing to do with scams....it has nothing to do with emails..... it is inspired by my previous post regarding David Toole.

The song at the closing ceremony was sung by Birdy, and she does some great arrangements..... but the song to accompany David Toole was originally done by Antony & the Johnsons.....

One of those artists who I have heard of from afar, but never really discovered..... so the OC clip for David Toole finally introduced me directly to A&J...... and the original version of Bird Gerhl......

This is another one of those songs.....where I urge you to download it...... 
then wait till it is dark...... lie on the bed alone....
headphones on....
[make sure they are a decent set...not cheap crappy market stall ones] 
then crank up the volume.....
 close your eyes and as the words strike up...
imagine your self flying like David Toole...... 
immerse yourself in the song....
and you will fly.....
it does work.....
this song can take you to a new place....
away from the madness 
of the real world !






~~~~~~~~~


ExxonMobil House

Ermyn Way

Leatherhead

Surrey, KT22 8UX.


Dear Sir/Madam

I am Mr. Peter Alexandra, representing the operation and corporate affairs in contract related matters of Exxon Mobil in London (http://www.exxonmobil.com).  Exxon Mobil is one of the World Largest oil producing and Management Company with over 1.2 Trillion pounds Capital contract Investment.
As a senior operational and corporate affairs representative of Exxon Mobil that handle contract related matters, I successfully over invoiced a contract few years back which is not known by anybody and, I need your full cooperation and partnership to re-profile this contract funds amounting to US$2.5M to your name as the contractor that executed this contract in Asia few years.
The fund will be paid to you through a Finance Company where it is presently deposited as soon as the filing and documentation process is concluded in your name because the contract was executed by Exxon Mobil United Kingdom in Asia.
Most importantly, you will be required to fill your data's stated below to enable me arrange legal documents that will proof you as a sole contractor with EXXON MOBIL:
(1). Stand as the beneficiary / contractor with Exxon Mobil to receive the funds as I will present you before the firm with legal documents.
(2). Receive the funds into a business/personal bank account in your country.
(3). At the completion of this transaction, the sharing rates shall be 60% for me, 40% for you.
(4) Full Names;
(5) Contact Address:
(6) Direct Telephone No:
(7) Occupation:
(8) Age and Marital Status:
(9) Means of Identification:
Note: Do not contact my office number or company email for security reasons. Get back to me as soon as possible For more details about the funds.
Best Regards.
Mr. Peter Alexandra,
Operation and Corporate Affairs Officer
ExxonMobil London.